Happy World Environment Day! We love days like these as we can acknowledge some of the steps that we strive to take within the avenue of eco-friendliness. It also reminds us that we have such amazing customers like you to make this happen. Flora & Curl donates 1% of our monthly proceeds to WeForest to help restore the Earth's lungs by growing trees in the Copperbelt Forest of Zambia.
But first, let's dive into the importance of World Environment Day and why this campaign receives more exposure with each year that passes:
- 2021 tied with 2018 being the 6th hottest year on record.
- The annual global average is about 1 degree, boosting global warming and instilling life-threatening changes on Earth.
- We are exceeding over 415 parts per million of CO2 in the atmosphere due to unsustainable methods of sourcing energy.
- 97% of scientists agree that climate change is caused by human greenhouse gas emissions.
- Lichen, a symbiotic organism that consists of fungi and algae is in danger of losing the evolutionary race with climate change as they cannot adapt to the rapid temperature rise of the Earth. This symbiotic organism plays a crucial role in shaping carbon, nutrient and hydrological cycles. It impacts how much heat and light the planet absorbs. Lichen is important—without it being up to date with Earth's temperature, the animal and plant kingdom may be disrupted.
- It is possible for the global average to stay below 1.5 degrees if we increase the share of solar, wind and hydro energy dramatically by 2030—if not, the temperature will begin to rise and our planet and ecosystems will be compromised by natural disasters.
We must unite to create a greener and more sustainable world not just for us but for the next generation. There are lots of things that we can do at home to help the world.
5 Easy Ways To Become Eco-Conscious Right Now
1. Create a healthy and balanced diet
- Because meat needs more natural resources, it is good to note that maintaining a balance of vegetables and other food groups is considered. Plant-based foods require less natural resources. Especially fruits and vegetables that are in season as they will not have been imported over long distances through any mode of transportation. In addition to this, trees are being demolished to create more land to create produce factories and for farm animals to breed and live for our benefit.
2. Slow fashion is better fashion
- It's time to get creative with your 2020 drags and accessorise them or make a swap with a friend. Ask yourself this: Will I love them just as much as I did in years to come? Will I continue to wear them, or up-cycle my garments? If it's a no, reconsider that purchase.
3. Spread knowledge about our impact on the environment
- Speak with your friends and family about the current climate crisis and learn more as you go to share valuable information that will hopefully deter unsustainable modes of living. Jump onto social media and become an advocate for keeping the Earth clean and join in on the discussion. It's important to share that every little change and step matters. We all can start somewhere!
4. Research the brands you love
- Are the brands you love doing their bit? Are their products eco-friendly, biodegradable and eco-conscious? Do they support organisations that are making a difference to the environment? Ask these questions before making a purchase! After all, the money that you put into that company should be going to worthwhile campaigns to help Earth to flourish again. Not all brands are in the position to do this, but the larger ones should make it a priority, especially given the current status of global warming.
5. Buy reusable products
- Ditch the plastic cups, paper plates and disposable masks. Choose products that are longer-lasting to reduce waste pollution.
What are we doing at Flora & Curl?
We also believe that every little step makes a difference, and we want to start somewhere.
Giving Back To Organisations That Need It Most
Here at Flora & Curl, our passion is plant power. Plants are the fuel we need for our hair, environment and even our body to thrive! That's why it is a no-brainer that we give 1% of our monthly proceeds to restoring the Earth's lungs through WeForest. This organisation grows trees to offset the carbon emissions in the atmosphere and make the Earth cooler. Not only that, WeForest are creating livelihoods for the local villagers in Zambia and simultaneously restoring ecosystems.
To date, we have funded 14,000 trees and we cannot wait to see how many trees we will have helped to grow by the end of the year. You can keep an eye on our work with WeForest
Did you know that we had a proposed office space in 2020? Luckily, our founder Rose decided for Flora & Curl to become a fully remote working company during the COVID-19 outbreak. Since then, our team has worked from home and has adapted to the remote-working lifestyle.
Spotted around the globe, our team works from home which reduces air pollution from travelling to and from work. We are still so proud of our remote-working etiquette as we hugely benefit from being connected virtually and so does the Earth.
Plant Powered: No, Seriously.
We don't greenwash. It's not in our nature. We like to keep it transparent with you and we appreciate the botanicals Earth has to offer. Plant-based products are powerful, safe, nourishing and the better option for your haircare needs.
Learn more about our ingredient selection and the ingredients that we say no to.
Our Eco-Friendly Delivery
Our bottles and jars are 100% recyclable, our shipping boxes are 100% biodegradable and recyclable. The inks used on our small custom boxes are plant-based. The inks used on our large fold-up boxes are water-based.
Our pink packaging peanuts that keep your products protected in transit are completely plastic-free, 100% biodegradable, eco-friendly and compostable. They can also be dissolved in water. Simply run the peanuts under the tap and watch those peanuts disappear! As the peanuts are made from renewable raw materials and are coloured using food-grade colours - you do not need to worry about polluting water systems or disrupting ecosystems.
In addition to our eco-friendly delivery, our postcards are biodegradable and recyclable. Our U.S. sourced postcards are made from 55% of recycled content. They are coated in a non-toxic water-based aqueous coating as this further fulfils its biodegradable properties! This reduces harmful carbon emissions while creating a safer work environment. The inks used are plant-based.
Our informational product leaflets are biodegradable and recyclable. The inks used are plant-based.
Your order slips are biodegradable and recyclable.
Orders placed from floracurl.co.uk will arrive with shipment tape that is made from Kraft Paper which is a minimum of 80% softwood pulp - 100% sustainably sourced. There is no bleaching involved in the manufacture. The glue is a natural rubber adhesive and is 100% biodegradable and recyclable.
You can learn more about our eco-friendly delivery and see for yourself how our pink peanuts work and how to responsibly recycle your empties!
Our leaflets are sourced from FSC suppliers. Our custom delivery boxes are produced from paper made from FSC certified suppliers. This covers much more than trees themselves. It ensures that nearby local communities are respected, the habitats of endangered plants and animal species are protected, and that all workers are properly paid.
To summarise, we are still learning a great deal and are hoping to bring a lot more innovation to our products in the future to help continue to minimise our impact on the environment. We hope that you will too make small steps to help heal the world in some way!
Do you have any questions about our eco-friendly values? Or perhaps you have a few charity suggestions for us to take a look at? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to hear from you!Naturally Yours,
The Team at Flora & Curl
Are you transitioning from a relaxer, heat or colour damage? Well if you are, then we know the struggle can be real!Check out our top 5 tips for a ...
So what is this routine Flora & Curl loves? We stand by the L.O.C/L.C.O Method! The routine every curly girl struggling with dry, brittle, dehy...
Our hair is the crown we never take off, and celebrating the true beauty in our textured curls is truly amazing. Black hair and the natural hair m...