Maintaining healthy and flourishing natural hair within your natural hair journey requires a basic acceptance of the best techniques for optimum hair health, length retention and hair growth. We will take you through some essential do's and don'ts of a healthy hair regimen:
- Do maintain good exercise. This will feed your curls vital nutrients for it to flourish and grow.
- Do drink plenty of water. This will boost the moisture in your hair for your length to be retained.
- Do take good care of your scalp; do not clog it up, scratch it up or damage it chemically. Let it breathe by giving it a break from protective styles.
- Do moisturise daily and style your hair in sections as this will minimise tangling.
- Do protect your hair daily with a cream or oil to lock in the moisture.
- Don't overheat your hair, if possible minimise sources of direct heat and presses to promote the health of your strands.
- Don’t towel dry your hair. Instead shake your head or squeeze the water out and air dry or invest in our Gentle Curl Towel. This will reduce frizz and friction.
Styling and Combing
- Do limit combing, by incorporating protective and low manipulation styles such as: Rod sets, straw sets, twist outs, braid outs, buns and braids/extensions that are not too tight on the edges. This is important during the dry seasons and winter.
- Do love your shrinkage! Did you know that tight curls can shrink to 75% of your actual length? Experiment with styles such as twists outs and braid outs that will stretch your hair.
- Work with your hair, and not against it.
- Do dust, trim or cut hair as needed as a healthy preventative measure.
- Don’t over manipulate your hair and avoid the hands-in-hair syndrome by keeping your hands and nails from your beautiful, delicate tresses.
- Do fall in love with your curls, your texture, your pattern and you hair shape. Self-love starts with you.
- Do encourage others who are natural, compliment them and show them a whole lot of love.
- Do stay connected to the online Natural Hair Care community. Join our #floracurlfamily on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest to get inspired and learn more tips and tricks about your hair.
- Don't criticise others for their hair and styling choices. Embrace the diversity all around you, and spread love.
Team Flora & Curl
Are you transitioning from a relaxer, heat or colour damage? Well if you are, then we know the struggle can be real!Check out our top 5 tips for a ...
So what is this routine Flora & Curl loves? We stand by the L.O.C/L.C.O Method! The routine every curly girl struggling with dry, brittle, dehy...
Our hair is the crown we never take off, and celebrating the true beauty in our textured curls is truly amazing. Black hair and the natural hair m...